Monday, January 18, 2010

Week 10: The 2 month checkup

Scarlett is now 10 weeks old! It seems hard to believe (it sounds much older than 2 months for some reason!).

She had her 2 month check up on Monday where she also had her first real set of shots. I wasn't sure about vaccinations while I was pregnant. I did a TON of research on the issue and ultimately decided that the CDC vaccine schedule was the right choice for us. I think it should be a decision left up to each family but it scares me that there is so much information out there that isn't based on research. There is a lot of anecdotal stuff on the Internet and the scientific literature is sparse and tough to access. One of the sources I thought was helpful was the Vaccine Book (Sears). He does a nice job of summarizing information from research studies and the manufacturers and making his personal opinion less obvious when discussing the facts. He actually recommends a modified schedule of the CDC vaccine schedule and I did ask about that the pediatrician, but Arlington County schools require the vaccines pretty much on the CDC schedule and we plan to send Scarlett to public school, so it seemed like a lost cause. In addition, ultimately I decided that the risk of infection (especially now that more parents are choosing not to vaccinate) was greater than the risk of negative side effects from the vaccines.

That being said, I think Scarlett felt like I made the wrong decision. The rest of her appointment went very well. She met a different doctor from the practice who was very nice (although not as warm as Dr. Fox or Dr. Jasani) and clearly competent. All signs point to a healthy baby. She was in the 75th percentile for height, 74th for head, and 30th for weight. She was 10 lbs on the dot, but apparently that is still a little small for her age, but she was 22 15/16th inches long. She has chubby cheeks and a big belly now though so it is hard to imagine what she would look like in the 50th percentile! After they took all of her stats, the nurse came in to do her shots. Daddy held her because I was a big chicken and left the room to make her next appointment. I was down at the front desk when I heard my baby... SCREAMING. I started walking back to the room (feeling very flushed but knowing full well that she was fine) when the nurse came out shaking her head and saying "Your baby is MAD." I went into the room and Paul was trying to calm her with a pacifier as she donned three new band aids (2 tazmanian devils and 1 bugs bunny) on her thighs. She was wet with sweat from all of the screaming. Apparently she liked the oral vaccine but she couldn't handle the second and third shots. It does seem like a lot to give a 2 month old! All-in-all, I'm glad we did it. I feel a little more at ease in crowds, especially since it is winter. The rotovirus (the one she had orally) is typically prevalent in February, so we got them just in time. I just hate to think of the possibility of her getting a virus that I could have prevented for her, particularly when she is this small and would have more serious consequences. There are risks with any choice, I just hope we made the right one! She did have a low fever, but otherwise she hasn't had any side effects from the vaccines.

Scarlett was supposed to have 2 month pictures done by her Uncle Dave this week, but he found out on Tuesday that he has Leukemia. The good news is that he has the type that is curable and he expects to make a full recovery. The bad news is that this means chemo and being in the hospital for weeks at a time. Paul and I can visit but Scarlett isn't allowed in, so she won't get to see him for a few weeks. Dave is in good spirits and so far is still feeling normal. We love you, Dave!

This week we plan to head down south to see Nicole, Jacy, Joel, and Liam. Liam and Scarlett should finally get to meet on Friday after we break up the long drive by stopping at Nicole's Thursday night. We're a little nervous about the drive, but can't wait to see everyone and finally meet Master Liam!

1 comment:

  1. AWwww...poor Scarlett. and poor mommy! I am not looking forward to those shots... I cant stand to hear a baby cry in pain...breaks my heart!

    That's terrible news about Dave. I do hope he makes a full recovery! Please send our well-wishes when you go to see him next.

    Please have a safe trip down. The weather should be really nice down here (mid 60s!) so it will be good strolling weather!! We can't wait to see you guys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete