Sunday, February 21, 2010

One of those moments in time




Throughout life, there are points in time where an event sparks so much emotion that people know exactly where they were when they witnessed it or heard the news. Older generations talk about where they were when the US put a man on the moon, or when Kennedy was shot. I remember exactly where I was when the US hockey team beat The USSR (can you tell who is writing this? Shonna wasn't born yet), when Reagan was shot (my initial reaction after walking home from school was "why isn't Woody Woodpeker on? Then it was "OMG") , and when the first plane hit the World Trade Center (actually, the 2nd plane caused more of an emotional response).

Things change when you have a baby. Important events are scaled down a bit from USA/World tragedies or accomplishments to... I know exactly where I was when Scarlett giggled for the first time (Shonna imitating the Scarlett dance- ask her to perform it for you!). And I know exactly where and when she giggled the next time (during her photo shoot). Both had me fighting back tears of joy. Of course these events add to a list that includes birth, first grin, first appearance of the tongue, and first poop after a 3 day dry spell (and boy does she have a way of making up for it). Sorry Scarlett. I'm sure you will read this some day and yes I did mean to embarrass you :)

Shonna and I can't wait for more of these events to happen, and sometimes we try to force the issue (partially because we are selfish and don't want these events happening while she is at daycare!) Why can't we get Scarlett to giggle on command? When will she say her first word? When will she yank Shonna's necklace and break it? We pay A LOT of attention to her during every waking moment because we so excited when we see new skills appear as she develops. We also give her as much attention as possible because we absolutely enjoy it and feel that it has already helped her social skills. She doesn't fuss, she is great around strangers, and is comfortable in any setting... so far. I'm sure we will have our challenges down the road but things couldn't be better right now! (knock on wood).

Thanks Scarlett for a great 15 weeks!

4 comments:

  1. Paul, that was a great post. Toby just emailed me a link to the most recent photos of Scarlett, and I had to call her immediately and ooh and ahh over each one! Are you SURE Shonna gave birth? Because I only see PAUL in that face ♥ Sorry Shonna! What a beautiful BEAUTIFUL baby girl. And those HIGH HEELS!!! Can't wait to meet her in person. She's amazing. Love, Jackie & Jake (better known as Grammy & Grampy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarlett has PLENTY of Shonna in her! From the forehead up, from the cheeks down, long limbs, ear lobes, tongue... and her stubbornness (ok, she got that from both of us). She has my eyes and eye lashes which stand out more than other features... but I'll take the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder why there is only 1 "d" in my screen name when my profile says "daddy". I'll look into it

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet post Paul... can't wait for Scarlett to read all these!

    ReplyDelete