Monday, November 9, 2009

Day one of "The Next Chapter"

Where did I leave off... Oh yea, 9:09am.

After Scarlett was born, we were still in a bit of shock at how lightning quick things progressed. As Scarlett's last toe was brought into this world, the OB immediately suctioned out her nose and mouth, Scarlett began to breath. What an amazing site to see a baby take her first breath!! She went from the color blue to bright (and shall I say) scarlet red in a matter of seconds as her cries sent oxygen rushing throughout her arteries. Soon after, it was time to detach her from her umbilical cord. Much to the OB's surprise, the cord was quite a bit shorter than the average cord, which made it more difficult cord blood later on. Maybe there is a correlation between length of cord and length of labor? Shonna? You are the research expert. Check the available data sets when you have a second. Anyway, I was given the opportunity to cut the cord. I'd give myself a B- on the cut, because it took me a second swipe of the scissors (albeit just an additional 2mm). I'll try to do better next time.

Soon after the cut, Scarlett was wiped down and handed to Shonna for a brief period of time (I can't recall if it was 30 seconds or 5 minutes because my mind was racing so fast). It must have been the latter because the placenta was passed during this time. What an interesting looking organ. Its like a cross between a human liver, and a heart and egg sac of another species. Apparently Shonna's placenta was reaching the end of its life because there was noticeable calcifying taking place on one side. As only Scarlett knew, it was time for her to leave the comfy confines of the uterus.

We were then ready for the next milestone. Scarlett was carried off so that her measurements could be taken. We hadn't heard much from Scarlett to this point. Scarlett cried initially as she was suctioned immediately after birth, but we didn't hear a peep after that moment (a trend that has continued to date- 9:15pm Monday. Quick cry followed by long moments of silence). As she was whisked away from Shonna, Scarlett's silence soon turned to anger as she was placed on the scale (but then again... don't most women react that way when approaching a scale, although usually unjustified? :) Scarlett weighed in at 7 pounds 9.3 ounces and 20.5 inches. Considering the natural birth and speed of delivery, I was expecting her weight to be under 7lbs. Wow Shonna, you are amazing! All other vitals turned out to be normal and Scarlett was back in Shonna's arms.

Shonna was in need of some post delivery attention, but the OB had more important things to take care of next door. Another sign that made us look at each other and say "we have been REALLY lucky!" We were in the delivery room more or less by ourselves for the next 60-90 minutes minus the usual round. The OB came back, did her thing, and we spend an additional 30-45 minutes in the room before moving on to our post delivery room. If Shonna so desires, I'll let her describe the remaining details and the painfuls aspect of post delivery.

On our way to our post delivery room, I was praying for an even numbered room. If you recall, Shonna and I took a tour of the ward, and the even numbered rooms were twice the size of the odds. We found out that the odd #s were always single rooms, and the evens were converted doubles to singles. Please please please please please please. The nurse made a call and I overheard "we are heading to room 357". My shoulders shrunk like a kid opening up a Christmas present only to find crappy clothes instead of a cool toy. Before I got too upset, I thought about the fact that I was walking to the room with my beautiful baby girl and amazing wife and all was well. I couldn't be luckier.

To be continued as "room 357"...

1 comment:

  1. i enjoy reading you guys' blog posts! You need pictures too! Or at least links to the pics :) I did a second weekly blog post, just for you!!! I even posted pics of Scarlett on my page! heehee (hope you don't mind... I picked the ones I liked the best from your album)

    ReplyDelete