Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 9th, 2009: 6 month (a little early) check up

We went back to VHC today for our monthly check up. This time, we saw Dr. Masel (http://www.arlingtonwomenscenter.com/about/doctors2.php#masel) for the first time and I REALLY liked her. She looks very young, but she was probably the most patient-centered of the group. She was very knowledgable and took a lot of time to answer our questions. So far, we'd be comfortable with any of the doctors in the group deliverng the baby, but partcularly like Drs. Crowther, Rossi, and Masel, each for a different reason.

Everything looks very good with the baby. All of the numbers are great. Paul and I started feeling her move and kick on the outside of my stomach for the first time this week. Dr. Masel felt her as well when she was listening to her heart beat and warned us that we're probably going to be very busy parents since we're able to feel her this early and she is so active. No surprise there!

We got a list of recommended pediatricians and doulas and some stretches to help with my sciatica. I've gained more weight more quickly than I'd like, but the doctors are definitely not concerned and say I'm on track (how can 7 lbs in one month be on track?! at that rate, with 4 more months to go... sigh).

When the doctor asked about my interest in a doula, I mentioned my fear of the epidural. She reassured us that the anesthesia team at VHC is excellent, but also said that I can meet with them in advance to talk through any of my concerns and be examined to make sure there isn't anything that would impede their ability to give me anesthesia. We'll see... at this point I may see how far I can make it without, but the doctor seemed to be a fan of having it as an option.

We're also starting to do some research on the great vaccine debate. I got the book by Sears in the mail this week and am joining the UMN alumni association so that I have access to the medical journals. Too much to learn and not enough time to do it! Hard to imagine that the third trimester is just around the corner.


6 Months "a little early"? Funny girl... As most of you know, Shonna always likes to stay ahead of the curve. We've had 3 sonograms in the first 20 weeks when most people only have 2, so naturally our 6 month checkup happened at 5 months. Shonna will probably have her first contraction in a few weeks. Her weight??? Shonna didn't gain a pound for the first 3 months!

Sooooo as far as the baby room is concerned, 2 layers of primer down but no color yet. The room should be painted by this weekend and the wood floor will be ordered by Thursday 7/16 or Friday. I can only hold off Great Beginnings for so long. They have had the baby furniture ready to ship for 3 weeks and counting. Have I offered beer to anyone who would like to help??? Beer anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, epidurals! I can't wait!

    Please share your findings on vaccinations! I expect a full written report! Or at least a summary :) heehee

    ReplyDelete