Friday, April 17, 2009

February 27, 2009 - 4th time's the charm?

We took our first pregnancy test on February 21st. Negative. We took another test the next day (still late). Still negative. Clearly it wasn't happening this month, so we decided not to take any more tests. When I was still late three days later, we decided to take the last test we had in the house -- yet another negative! After dismissing the lateness to the 10 years of birth control getting out of my system, we got through the rest of the week and decided to go out to dinner on Friday night (The 27th -- my dad's 70th birthday). After dinner, we decided to stop at the CVS to pick up another package of tests... just to be safe. Imagine my surprise to see "Pregnant" on the digital reading! I called Paul upstairs to look. Our immediate reaction was that it was a false positive. After 3 negatives, it seemed to be the outlier. I started chugging water so that I could take the other test from the box. Negative. Now we were really frustrated! Paul went back to the store at 2 AM to get another box of tests. We took the next one in the morning and got 1/4 of a positive. That was it. No more tests until we went to the doctor. I called on Monday morning to schedule the appointment. After I got off of the phone I took another test just to make myself feel better. Another positive. This time I had a feeling that we were really pregnant. By the time all was said and done, we'd taken 7 (!) home pregnancy tests with only 2 1/4 positive.

The doctor confirmed it with a urine test - a "quick positive." After they told us the nurse commented that she could feel my heart racing and my blood pressure was high. Imagine that. 
We soon had a lot of lab work done to confirm and we were given a due date of October 31st. We were simultaneously so excited and so scared. We really wanted to start a family, but after hearing so many stories of people struggling to get pregnant, we never imagined it would happen so fast! And so began our adventure...

1 comment: